The hospital's communications team wanted to create a staff newsletter that didn’t smack of corporate speak, yet conformed to the larger organizational vision and goals.
Key Business Goals
Provide a friendly forum for staff to share key hospital news, management views, and staff achievements, without pontificating.
A newsletter that speaks to them, represents them, educates them and motivates them.
Compile stories (in an engaging, inviting and cheerful layout) that represent a wide array of staff—from receptionist to volunteer to surgeon to CEO.
- Conducted employee surveys to understand what staff wanted from the newsletter
- Audited newsletters from the previous 5 years to see how they had changed and evolved
- Developed a revised styleguide for all internal communications
- Built an editorial calendar that balanced corporate and management stories with feel-good stories contributed by staff, patients and volunteers
- Created samples for tone, voice and messaging
- Incorporated a lot of actionable how-to pieces addressing workplace stress, nutrition, events, and extra-curricular opportunities
- Started a regular feature to highlight the achievements and personalities of behind-the-scenes staff who rarely get lauded for their services
- Introduced an online version with longer forms of the stories