Spice Electronics (SE), headquartered in Ontario, is a new global distributor of electronic components. SE was looking for a web and mobile presence that informs potential customers and clients about the company, and its products and services.
Key Business Goals
Present SE as a reliable organization; increase its brand recognition; instill customer confidence in the brand.
- Quickly establish if the vendor meets user needs (products/suppliers)
- Easily communicate with the vendor and get quick quotes
- Access vendor website on both desktop and mobile platforms
The focus was on clean information architecture and vocubulary that meets industry norms, and navigational hierarchy that allows the user to find relevant information quickly. It being a retail site, presenting content—and related calls to action—in a clear and concise manner on each page was a key consideration.
- Performed a card sorting exercise, with industry experts, to design optimal navigation
- Designed the home page to establish trust, and provide a one-click acces to quotes—a primary user activity on the site
- Inserted contextual calls-to-action/information—a key user need—on all pages (considering any page could be a potential entry point to the site)
- Established multiple modes to find products/suppliers: at-a-glance lists, search, request for information, etc.
- Used responsive design—minimalistic design that enhances content on any screen size, rather than compete with it